DIY Protein Treatment and Signs Your Hair Needs Protein
Let's face it:
Most of us don't know that our hair is made up of approximately 91% protein.
In other words, our hair IS protein.
Protein is a necessary building block for nourished, strong and healthy hair.
But I can tell you, it's not always easy to tell when you need to add protein to help your hair grow stronger and longer.
Not only will we tell what you need to look for but we will give you an amazing free recipe for a quick DIY protein treatment.
Signs your hair is in need of protein
- Low elasticity: If you try to stretch your hair while wet (or dry) and it doesn’t snap back or return to its natural state or curl pattern.
- Limp, stringy or gummy feeling when hair is wet.
- Excessive dryness and breakage.
- If your hair has recently been chemically treated or heat-treated you definitely want to be on the lookout for these signs.
Now that you know what to look for, go on and give your hair a check.
TEXT "CURL" to 81787 FOR A FREE GIFT!
If you find any signs of protein damage, then you may need to try a protein treatment.
What is a protein treatment?
A protein treatment is a conditioner that binds proteins to the cuticle layer of your hair strands, making them stronger, and less likely to be damaged in the future.
There are tons of different protein treatments on the market but at CurlMix we believe that the best product is one that you could mix for yourself.
Here's a quick DIY protein treatment you can use to relieve your limp, brittle curls, and bring them back to life!
Quick DIY Protein Treatment
- 5 chunks of raw shea butter.
- 2 tbsp unrefined, organic coconut oil.
- 5 tbsp organic castor oil.
- 1 cup Greek yogurt.
- 1 tbsp raw organic honey.
- 1 egg.
- Heat coconut oil for 30 seconds.
- Heat shea butter for 1 minute and mix with coconut oil.
- Combine mixture with remaining ingredients. You can also use a blender for easier mixing.
- Apply to hair and leave on for 20 - 30 minutes with heat. 1 hour without heat.
What makes this Protein Treatment so great?
This recipe uses some of the most powerful protein-packed ingredients.
Shea butter is known for its exceptional moisturizing and therapeutic properties on both skin and hair.
Honey is a natural humectant (attracts moisture). It’s also full of antioxidants and nutrients that promote hair growth.
Coconut oil, castor oil, Greek yogurt, and egg are all naturally rich in protein making this DIY treatment essential for every curly girl to have on hand.
Be careful not to overload your hair with protein.
Doing so can do more harm than good by causing your hair to become excessively dry and brittle.
This will eventually lead to breakage. That's a big no-no.
You should only be using a protein treatment periodically if you notice your hair is lacking. We recommend once a month.
Questions to ask yourself
Before you go...
Have you been listening to your hair lately?
Check your hair for the signs that you might be lacking protein and add it to your regimen.
If you already check your protein regularly we want to know:
How do you incorporate protein into your healthy hair regimen?
Leave a comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *